Pay Per Click Advertising: Beware the PPC

Tuesday, July 7, 2015
Pay Per Click, or PPC, advertising is a good way to get traffic to your website or online business if you know what you are doing, but buyer beware. PPC can be very tricky. If you choose the wrong keywords, write your ad incorrectly, or do not correlate your ads to your website the right way you could face overpriced clicks, or too many non targeted, unfiltered clicks, costing you more in advertising than you are making in sales. You could even face having your pay per click account suspended indefinitely.
If you think I am exaggerating I am not. When I first got started with internet marketing and I did not know what I was doing. I created a PPC campaign that linked to a website that was not my own (a mistake I never should have made). But I was young and blinded by the "great success" I was going to achieve as an internet marketer using PPC. It ended up that the site I was promoting had violated their terms of service and my account ended up being suspended and I was unable to fix the problem because I was not the owner of the site and I could not contact the site owner. The links on the site did not even work anymore, but they told me I needed it fixed before they would reinstate my account. I explained that it was impossible for me to fix, but no one there wanted to help me so I just decided to go elsewhere for my PPC needs and focus more on organic SEO and social media.
It goes to show you need do your research and know what you are doing as well as things like the terms of service so you do not accidentally get yourself into a mess like I did. I am sure my readers are smart enough to know this, but everyone makes mistakes. I sure did. That is why it is necessary to share this story with you all so you can learn from me and not make the same mistakes I have. Of course this is not the only mistake I have made with internet marketing, but it is one of the worst. You are going to make mistakes on the way to becoming a successful entrepreneur, but try to make them few and far between and make sure that you ALWAYS take away something from your mistakes and learn from them. That is the best way to get better at something. So, all in all, PPC is not a bad thing, but BE CAREFUL.