How Dealing With Blogging Criticism Can Make or Break Your Career

Thursday, July 9, 2015
I receive stinging criticism from time to time.
Sometimes well-placed barbs roll off of my back.
Receiving criticism can be a tough pill to swallow. Or you might embrace the feedback, using the suggestion to better yourself.
Or you might laugh off criticism as the creation of an unbalanced, or unhappy, mind.
Some people think my blog is wonderful. Some people think my blog is a joke. Some people believe Fiverr writers can churn out content better than I. Others pay me $35 to $75 to write guest posts and go gaga over my work.
Well, these opinions vary. But how I deal with these opinions determines my level of success.
Criticism Matters
You Might Feel Hurt
After receiving criticism you might feel hurt or angry. You might want to lash out at the person criticizing you. At this point you believe some truth exists in the criticism.
Maybe the person said you sucked as a writer, you took it personally, became angry, and yep, this proves that you feel, on some level, that you are a sucky writer.
Here lies the big challenge; because you feel the statement is true, on some level, is the statement, The Truth?
In most cases, nope! The truth differs from a few low energy moments you might experience.
Example; as I noted before some people think I am a poor writer. If that statement annoys me, on some level, I feel I am a poor writer.
So I feel a *tiny bit* of the statement is true. But after feeling through these cruddy, crappy feelings, and sitting with my anger, and annoyance, I have to ask myself the question: "Is this statement true?"
Now you must objectively collect facts. List the number of guest posts you have published on authority blogs. Then I can list each person who pays me $25, $35 and higher for my guest posts. I submit paid guest posts to a growing number of individuals. The people are generally extremely happy with my work, and many of these folks either run massive authority blogs, or in the case of the SEO company I write for, bill out a substantial amount of money to build backlinks with white hat tactics, using my guest posts to get serious link juice.
The Truth
So, even though a little, low self-esteem side of me believes that yes, I might be a crappy writer - hey, we all have doubts - the money people pay me to write posts, and the authority of blogs I post to, speaks a different truth.
The truth is, I can write damn well. The reality is, one critic, if they hit me in a soft spot, or at a bad time, can shake my confidence a little bit. But after shaking them off, and reviewing my body of work, I can see the truth, and rest assured that I know how to write.
The I go forward, and make more money, and help more people, because I grew through criticism, and saw the truth.
Career Blogging Problems
The majority of people - and me, until a few months ago - TOTALLY believe in unhappy critics, and their skewed, dishonest assessments, dismissing positive, successful, nurturing people, who heap praise upon them.
Your career is doomed if you believe your critics and dismiss your inner guide and the positive feedback of pros.
At this point, you can do 2 things; never charge for your writing, or work for pennies, doing the Fiverr bit, slaving like an animal to earn peanuts for a 600 word post, or you can have some cajones and charge your worth.
You have to realize that what you feel is true, after receiving criticism, might not be The Truth.
If I believed in critics, I would have never traveled the world. I would have never offered my ghostwriting services, or started my paid guest posting gig, or started gifting, or started earning through AdSense.
I finally realized this; the most brilliant people on earth have critics, so yes, I, a talented, energetic writer, who has room to improve, will attract critics from time to time.
Adopting this mindset MADE my career. If you trust critics, and look for no positive evidence of your blogging successes, you BREAK your career, in a big way.
Believe in you. Weigh out the feedback of harsh critics versus all of the positive feedback you have received over the years.
How do you deal with blogging criticism?
Above article is associated with Techy Blog offers Digital Marketing Courses in Delhi.