What To Do When Life Doesn't Go According To Plan

Sunday, July 12, 2015
You know the extremely organized among us who make lists for practically everything under the Sun? Well, I used to be among them - I was a serial planner and a perpetual list maker. I always had ideas and plans up my sleeve and my own life was the grandest of them all, driven by personal ambition and passion. Funny thing, a couple of years down the line and I am nowhere near where I planned to be; infact I am so off-course, you could say I am living a completely different life altogether!
I am not sitting behind a drawing board drafting out the intricacies of someone's home and neither am I surrounded by the pitter-patter of toddlers; I am no longer obsessed with the idea of getting married and romantic bliss nor am I constantly waiting for my shot at the big game. But while my gold medal from university gathers dust and a lot of my past endeavors lie silently waiting for new expression, I am happier and freer than I have ever been or could fathom myself to be.
Yes, it seems life had its own plans for me. But while from my tiny perspective you could say things did not go as per plan, somewhere given how much calmer and positive I am as a person I think I am right on track. You see, when life doesn't go according to plan- your plan- there may just be grander opportunities and a much larger plan at work. My work and career may have morphed and twisted around, the definitions and sources of joy and contentment may have shifted, but the promise of joy and contentment is still being met.
For whether you believe in divine powers or not, you must acknowledge that each one of us is part of a larger ecosystem; an ecosystem that influences and interacts with us at every step. Therefore no matter how thorough you are with those lists and projections, somewhere a curved ball is inevitable for there are so many paths and possibilities that may still remain unchartered and unchecked by our human mind.
So while common opinion might view an unexpected change of plans as an outright calamity, I am here to tell you it is often anything but that; many a time it is a stroke of good luck, it is a blessing in disguise.
But that is not to say it is easy to weather or a breeze to adapt to. When big changes come knocking, it is usually a sign that things might get a lot rougher than we anticipated or would like them to. But over the years, having learnt to move with the grander plan at play, I have come up with a simple 3 step process that allows me to better respond to them.
1. Step back and take a moment to pause. Review the situation at hand, the new parameters at play and the choices that lie before you. Most importantly accept this new situation- standing in resistance to it will only cause you pain and delay the inevitable; instead focus on responding to it.
2. Turn to your inner voice- your truest guide, your conscience- and listen to what really and authentically resonates with you, irrespective of how tough or improbable a path / actions it may present.
3. Find a way of translating your inner conscience into your outer reality. This may be directly possible within the new parameters or may require you to vehemently oppose these and try and turn back the tide; you may be able to take any and all action instantly or may have to chalk out a new plan in the longer term- whatever you do, do it in alignment with your conscience.
The bare fact is that at every point we are called to make choices, even when a plan doesn't seem to work out. Our choices are our only anchor for they allow us to take responsibility for the way our life is and has turned out- even if subject to a few unexpected bumps and diversions along the way. Therefore moving into a state of response from a state of resistance allows you to get back on track, to adapt and evolve with your life- to find happiness and success where you never even knew it existed.
e-Idea magazine is your premier resource for reliable, accurate and valuable information that you can put to use every single day. We understand that in today's internet intensive world, there is immense information available with just a single click of the mouse. If you are interested for more information contact us at http://e-ideamagazine.com/