Responding to the Shooting in Charleston

Sunday, July 12, 2015
Hate Kills
Last Wednesday night during a Bible study at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston S.C. a 21-year-old white young man slaughtered nine people.
The hatred that led this young man to massacre men and women merely because of the color of their skin can't be called anything other than evil. There is no other way to describe such a shocking act on innocent people.
The public response has been deep sadness, anger, and outrage. I have felt all these myself. This is the natural reaction to such a horrible event. I can only imagine what the friends and loved ones of the victims are thinking and feeling.
Actually, I don't need to imagine. Some of them made statements to the shooter in court last week.
Love Gives
They spoke of mercy. They offered forgiveness. They invited the suspect to look for God.
There was no rage, no fury, no wrath - just broken hearts exposed and vulnerable for the world to see. They sobbed as they spoke.
"I just wanted everybody to know, and you, I forgive you," said the daughter of Ethel Lance, killed in the shooting. "You took something very precious away from me. I will never talk to her ever again. I will never be able to hold her again. You hurt me. You hurt a lot of people. May God forgive you. And I forgive you."
A family member of Anthony Thompson said he forgave the shooter. "I forgive you and my family forgives you, but we would like you to take this opportunity to repent... confess, give your life to the one who matters the most, Christ, so that He can change it - can change your ways no matter what happens to you, and you will be OK."
The granddaughter of Daniel Simmons Sr., also killed, said, "Although my grandfather and the other victims died at the hands of hate, this is proof - everyone's plea for your soul is proof that they lived in love and their legacies will live in love. So, hate won't win... "
What a strange reaction. Some have even called it unnatural. It isn't unnatural. It's supernatural.
It's not because they are educated people. It's not because they have gone through extensive therapy. It's not even because they are church-goers.
These are people who have experienced God's love and grace themselves. They understand the meaning of mercy and forgiveness. This is only how they can look at the man who murdered their loved ones, who took away the most precious thing they had in this world, and say with all sincerity, "God forgives you and so do I."
This doesn't mean they don't hurt. Of course they do. I'm sure that the pain is almost unbearable. Their hearts ache everyday and they mourn the loss of those they deeply loved. And yet - they respond with love. Not hate.
That can only be by the grace of God.
Love wins. Hate loses. God prevails.